Monday, June 28, 2010

Oh, the Places You'll Go...

Yes, just like the Dr. Seuss book. The phrase "Oh, the Places You'll Go" has really defined my life the past few years. From the first day I moved to Knoxville to right now.

First, I NEVER in a million years wanted or even thought I would end up in Knoxville and honestly, I don't think anyone in my family did. I refused to go here, and only applied because my college adviser told me I had to at least apply to one in-state school. Little did I know it would be the best fit and the best choice I have made up to this point in my life. It was a great and pleasant surprise, not only that I'm here, but that I stayed and didn't transfer. This is stop #1, of "Oh the places you'll go" that I never thought would be. And it has truly been a blessing. Not only my location (being close enough and far enough from family) but what I have gained while here.

Stop #2 on my list. Van, Texas. Four words: It Changed My Life. Taking a whole summer and focusing on other people (something I am still learning how to do) and putting other before myself was one of the most out of character things I have ever done. I admit that I am one of the most selfish people you will ever meet. I spent the whole summer working with 3 other amazing counselors in a cabin full of 16 10-12 year old girls. Sounds crazy, I know. But that summer not only did I learn a lot about myself, but I also learned a lot about God's will for my life. I found a passion to work with middle school aged kids (once again, crazy, I know) and within a week of getting back to school and Knoxville... I went straight to my advisor's office and added a minor of Child & Family studies to my degree.

#3, back to Tennessee. I'm not sure if I should count Kingsport as a stop since it was kind of the beginning, but I will anyways. Kingsport is a fantastic place. I seriously love it. Those who visit hate it, but there is something about driving down the street and having people wave at you even if you don't know them... or going to the grocery store and running into 5 people you know. I love knowing tons of people and always having people you know that you can call up and count on. The people are great. The town is beautiful. And it really is bigger than people think it is. I don't know everyone, haha.

#4, now. I am in this awkward transition stage of life, that is really hard for me to accept. I have been applying to jobs all over Knoxville and the Tri-Cities, and the closest thing I have to even hearing anything is getting an interview, which is in 2.5 weeks. It isn't in a location I want to live (about 1 hours from both Kingsport and Knoxville) BUT it is definitely a job I am interested in taking if offered. And my parents will pretty much kill me if I don't take it. haha. It is working with a non-profit organization that houses children without homes. My "job," if I get it, would be to plan activities for this children. As the job was described to me, these children are harsh, a lot have been abused, and have no concept of love. If I get the job, that will be my main goal everyday... How can I show these children love and not only love, but how can I show them Christ without them being hostile. It will be a challenge and it won't be like an office job where you can leave your work on your desk to pick up the next day, but it will be a job that I can change lives. And in the end, that's what I want to do.

That's where I am right now. I am content with my life here in Knoxville. I've made some of the greatest friends and learned some of the hardest lessons, but I am certain that it was all for a reason. All my ups and downs have only made me a stronger person and hope to only become stronger. I pray that when people meet me they say, "Wow, look what God has done through her life," not "Wow, what a selfish person holding back all she has to offer the world."

Without Christ, I am nothing... but with Him, I have everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment