Tuesday, June 8, 2010

At the Foot of the Cross (Ashes to Beauty)

At the foot of the cross
Where grace and suffering meet
You have shown me Your love
Through the judgment You received

And You've won my heart
Yes You've won my heart
Now I can

Trade these ashes in for beauty
And wear forgiveness like a crown
Coming to kiss the feet of mercy
I lay every burden down
At the foot of the cross

At the foot of the cross
Where I am made complete
You have given me life
Through the death You bore for me

I'm laying every burden down
I'm laying every burden down


(Here's a Youtube link to the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk7_SBxYSZs&feature=related )

--------------------

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that song, but never listened to the words. I would sing along, close my eyes, and lift my hands... but I was just going through the motions and never paid any attention to what I was singing.

How beautiful and true is it? We were made from ashes and that's all we are until we have have Christ, then we are beautiful. How could ashes ever be anything beautiful? Just like the crown of thorn He wore on the cross for us, through his suffering, we now can wear the crown of forgiveness. Not only has Christ won our hearts (how cool is that?!) but in our faults He still loves us enough to let us win His too.

Pretty much, I have a new love for this song. And now when I sing it, it won't be just in the moment or going through the motions, but every part of the song has meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment